Spend a day with the Summit Historical Society


Gold Mines! Walking Tour! Historical Museums!
Rotary Snowplow and Railroad Museum! Dillon Cemetery!

Barney Ford Museum |  Dillon Dam

Gold Mine Tours |  Walking Tour Through Breckenridge

Edwin Carter Museum Tour |  Rotary Snowplow and Railroad Museum

Dillon Schoolhouse Tour |  Dillon Cemetery Tour

For more information on tours phone:

The Summit Historical Society at (970) 468-2207

or

The Breckenridge Historical Alliance at (970) 453-9767


The Summit Historical Society offers many ways to learn about the exciting history of Summit County, Colorado. Membership offers several bonuses also: publications, galas, and the opportunity to volunteer and help the society with fun projects, be a tour guide, etc.

Barney Ford House Museum

For tour schedule contact the Breckenridge Historical Alliance at (970) 453-9767.

More information can be found at www.BreckHeritage.com


Barney Ford House Museum -
Barney Ford House Museum111 East Washington Avenue. Visit this 1882 Victorian home in downtown Breckenridge.  It was recently restored as a tribute to Barney L. Ford who was the son of a Virginia slave.  Barney Ford escaped slavery via the Underground Railroad and achieved success in Breckenridge and throughout the west as a prominent businessman, civic leader, black rights advocate, and mine owner.

 

Dillon, Denver, and the Dam
Summer schedule: Thursdays, July 18th through August 29th. Tours start at 10:00 a.m.  Meet at the 'Dillon Schoolhouse Museum' at 403 La Bonte St. in Dillon, CO.

Dillon DamSpend the morning with Sandra Mather the author of Dillon, Denver, and the Dam, a Summit Historical Society publication. Learn about the building of Dillon Dam and the creation of "new" Dillon. Wear walking shoes and bring rain gear if necessary. There is a fee for this tour.

Three exciting gold mine tours...

Washington Mine:

For tour schedule contact the Breckenridge Historical Alliance at (970) 453-9767.

More information can be found at www.BreckHeritage.com

At the Washington Mine you can peer down into a manway and shaft, handle drill steel and core samples, don a hard hat and walk along ore-car tracks back to where the miners drilled and blasted, see the tools and equipment used 100 years ago - from candles to calcium-carbide lights, rock drills to widowmakers, black powder to dynamite - and learn why the prospectors dug where they did.

Meet at the Washington Mine (click on "Washington Mine" in the previous paragraph for directions). Please be prompt. Tours last one to one and a half hours depending on questions and general visitor interest. There is a fee for the tour.

Lomax Placer Gulch:

For tour schedule contact the Breckenridge Historical Alliance at (970) 453-9767.

More information can be found at www.BreckHeritage.com

Visit the Lomax Placer Gulch Tour and Slide Show where you can pan for gold. Learn how mining-town chemists assayed the ore content; watch a slide show and see how hydraulicking changed the landscape; become familiar with terms such as sluices, riffles, flumes and monitors; visit a bachelor miner's cabin, complete with stove, musical instruments, snowshoes, actual furniture and utensils, pack saddles, and a pie safe.

Tours meet at the Lomax Mine (click on "Lomax" in the previous paragraph for directions). Please be prompt. Tours last one to one and a half hours depending on questions and general visitor interest. There is a fee for the tour.

Country Boy Mine

The Country Boy is a PRIVATELY OWNED attraction, and NOT subject to Summit Historical Society pricing.  It is open to the public for underground tours, gold panning, burro riding, and general good times. For more information or to arrange for a tour, or to participate in the many other activities, call 970-453-4405. And tell them the Summit Historical Society sent you!

The "original" Country Boy was developed in 1887 as an important silver, lead, zinc, and gold producer. The mine apparently operated on a fairly regular basis until at least the mid-1890s, shipping its high-grade ore to Denver for smelting. After a brief disappearance from public records such as the newspapers of the time, the mine became active again from about 1902 to just before World War I.

Electricity was installed to power the lights, water pumps, ventilation systems, and drilling equipment in 1905. Impressive strikes of zinc, lead, and silver ore were made in 1906 resulting in the mine's output being shipped to a smelter in Kansas. The mine was listed as a "steady producer" of zinc and silver ore in a 1909 U.S. government report but seems to have faded from the public eye once again as World War I approached. In the 1940s, the mine was allowed, by the U.S. government, to remain in production as most gold mines in the country were shut down as being "non-strategic". The Country Boy produced vital zinc for the war effort until 1945 when it was shut down due to flooding.

Country Boy MineToday, the mine "mines" a different resource - the year-round visitors to the Summit County area, the result of development efforts by private owners which began in the mid-1990s. To arrange for a tour of the Country Boy or to participate in the many other activities at the mine, call 970-453-4405. And tell them that the Summit Historical Society sent you!

You can also visit their website by clicking here.

Directions: The Country Boy Mine is located near Breckenridge in French Gulch to the east of the town. From Blue River Plaza on Main Street proceed north (toward Frisco) two blocks; turn right (east) onto Wellington Road toward French Gulch and follow the road for about one mile to the intersection with Reiling Road. At the intersection, bear right onto a wide dirt/gravel road for about one mile. The Country Boy is clearly visible on the right side of the road and is well marked with a sign. Turn right onto a short dirt driveway to the mine. Country Boy Mine


 

 

 

 

Take a walking tour of the National Historic District of Breckenridge ...


Breckenridge Walking Tour: visit the 1880 Alice G. Milne House and the 1896 W.H. Briggle House. See the earliest homes in town, from log cabins to mail-order houses and stately residences. Learn about Breckenridge's commercial history and see the buildings that housed the bank, stores, offices barbershop, theater, restaurants, saloons and hotels. Also included on the tour are churches, the courthouse and school.

For tour schedule contact the Breckenridge Historical Alliance at (970) 453-9767.

More information can be found at www.BreckHeritage.com

Meet in Blue River Plaza near the Welcome Center at 203 So. Main Street, in Breckenridge.


Visit the 1875 Edwin Carter Museum...


Explore state's second oldest museum. Learn about Edwin Carter, the "log cabin naturalist" and member of the prestigious "Colorado 100," Rocky Mountain fauna and the general history of Breckenridge.

For tour schedule contact the Breckenridge Historical Alliance at (970) 453-9767.

More information can be found at www.BreckHeritage.com


A rotary snowplow, several railcars, and a museum ...

In the years before there were snowplows as we know them, there were rotary snowplows, huge machines whose giant, snow-blowing and -cutting fans or blades cleared narrow-gauge railroad tracks, throwing snow 30 feet away on both sides of the rails. See an early 1900s rotary snowplow similar to those that plied the "High Line" from Como in South Park to Breckenridge as well as a coal tender and two Colorado & Southern boxcars.
Also in the park are interpretive signs and a historic cabin in which videos and exhibits are available.

For tour schedule contact the Breckenridge Historical Alliance at (970) 453-9767.

More information can be found at www.BreckHeritage.com

Entry to the site and museum is free.

Visit two schoolhouse museums...


Dillon Schoolhouse Museum

403 La Bonte Street in Dillon
The well-equipped 1883 Dillon Schoolhouse was moved up from the old town of Dillon when the dam was built in 1961. Also visit the 1885 Lula Myers Ranch House and Honeymoon Cabin.

Summer Schedule
Open Tuesday thru Saturday - Early June, through early September.  Hours are 1:00 pm to 4:00 pm.

Winter Schedule
The Dillon Schoolhouse is currently only open by appointment and tours can be arranged by calling 970-468-2207.  

  Admission is free, but donations are accepted.

Special tours can be arranged by calling (970) 468-2207.

Montezuma Schoolhouse


Schedule:
The Montezuma Schoolhouse is currently only open by appointment and tours can be arranged by calling 970-468-2207.

Visit the 1884 one-room schoolhouse located at 10,400 feet in the heart of the 1865 silver-rich mining town of Montezuma!

Visit the Dillon cemetery ...


The original Dillon Cemetery was established in 1885 and was the only graveyard patented under federal law, its patent signed June 30, 1901 by President McKinley. During the construction of the Dillon Dam in 1962 the original cemetery was moved from its first location to its present "home".

Interred here are many who were important to the development of the north end of Summit County: members of the families of four of the eight drivers of the High Line Stage Coach Route from Georgetown to Leadville, which operated from 1879 until the arrival of the railroad in 1882; administrative and operating personnel of the narrow-gauge railroads; miners; timbermen and other sawmill workers; blacksmiths; tradesmen, hotel keepers and livery operators; homesteaders and ranchers; road builders, and county officials. One "colored," Dillon town marshal Steve Edwards, was moved, at his death said to be the oldest citizen in the county.

Schedule:
Tours can be arranged by calling 970-468-2207.

Breckenridge, Valley Brook Cemetery:

For tour schedule contact the Breckenridge Historical Alliance at (970) 453-9767.

More information can be found at www.BreckHeritage.com

Guided tour of Valley Brook Cemetery:

Visit the final resting place of many of Breckenridge's early pioneers, and learn all about them, their deeds, and misdeeds!